I got my hands on some Cisco Firepower 4100 units and after playing around with them I wanted to reset them to factory settings, essentially erase the “startup-config” on the FXOS. The Firepower units act a little differently than your normal Cisco IOS or ASA and you can’t just erase startup-config and reload the device, that would be too easy. I was able to find that if you do a password recovery on the unit it erases the configuration and that’s as close as I got for a factory reset.
You have to be physically at the device with a console cable, plug into the console port to begin:
- Power off the system, and then power it back on
- While the system is booting, you have go into ROMMON mode to do that press ESC or CTRL+L. You’ll see a message confirming that you are going to ROMMON
!! Rommon image verified successfully !! Cisco System ROMMON, Version 1.0.10, RELEASE SOFTWARE Copyright (c) 1994-2015 by Cisco Systems, Inc. Compiled Mon 11/30/2015 15:23:18.60 by builder Current image running: Boot ROM0 Last reset cause: PowerCycleRequest DIMM Slot 0 : Present DIMM Slot 1 : Present No USB drive !! BIOS has been locked !! Platform FPR-4110-SUP with 8192 Mbytes of main memory
- Make note of the kickstart and FXOS system image as you need these names to be able to boot to the correct image. In this example under ROMMON the following appeared on-screen
find the string ! boot bootflash:/installables/switch/fxos-k9-kickstart.5.0.3.N126.96.36.199.SPA bootflash:/installables/switch/fxos-k9-system.5.0.3.N188.8.131.52.SPA
- Load the kickstart image
rommon 1 > boot bootflash:/installables/switch/fxos-k9-kickstart.5.0.3.N184.108.40.206.SPA !! Kickstart Image verified successfully !!
- When kickstart loads you’ll be at the switch(boot)# prompt, enter configuration mode.
switch(boot)# switch(boot)# config t Enter configuration commands, one per line. End with CNTL/Z.
- Under the configuration mode, type admin-password erase, this will erase everything and bring the system back to factory defaults.
switch(boot)(config)# admin-password erase Your password and configuration will be erased! Do you want to continue? (y/n) [n] y switch(boot)(config)# exit
- Load the system image to startup the FXOS, once the image has been loaded you’ll be prompted to enter the setup wizard.
switch(boot)# load bootflash:/installables/switch/fxos-k9-system.5.0.3.N220.127.116.11.SPA Uncompressing system image: bootflash:/installables/switch/fxos-k9-system.5.0.3.N18.104.22.168.SPA You have chosen to setup a new Security Appliance. Continue? (y/n):
I hope this information is helpful, the information I was referencing is located here: